The New Zealand Birth Defects Registry monitors birth defects in New Zealand. This work is an important part of our monitoring of environmental health in New Zealand.
The main aims of the registry are to:
- provide reliable and valid data on the prevalence of birth defects in New Zealand
- monitor the prevalence of birth defects
- investigate clusters of birth defects
- use the data to assess the effectiveness of birth defects prevention programmes
- provide advice to health care professionals about birth defects
- provide data and analysis to help plan health services and develop health policy related to birth defects.
Visit the New Zealand Birth Defects Registry website.
For more information on the New Zealand Birth Defects Registry, email Barry Borman.