The Environmental Health Intelligence New Zealand (EHINZ) team is a research and consultancy group, specialising in environmental health information.
We are based in the College of Health, Massey University, Wellington. Our work is funded primarily by the New Zealand Ministry of Health.
Our work has two core elements
- We conduct research into the effect of environment factors on the health of the animal and human populations.
- We provide a consultancy service, providing data and analytical services, and dissemination of fit-for-purpose information products.
Our surveillance systems for environmental health
We have five surveillance systems for monitoring environmental health in New Zealand, which are integrated and concept-driven:
Our stakeholders are:
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Ministry for the Environment
- Ministry for Primary Industries
- Environmental Protection Authority
- Worksafe New Zealand
Crown Research Institutes
- The Institute of Environmental Science and Research (ESR)
- Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (GNS)
- National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)
District Health Boards and Public Health Units
- University of Otago
- University of Auckland
Non-government organisations and individuals
- The New Zealand Organisation for Rare Disorders
- International Clearinghouse for Birth Defects Surveillance and Research
We make information and data accessible
On this website, you can find regular updates on the project, as well as relevant data, information, publications and links.
Where possible, we make all information and data available to you:
- on this website, in a variety of maps and graphs
- in our factsheets
- on the interactive dashboards
- on our mapping website Healthspace.
To find out more about what we do, and how we can help you, contact us.