More than 40% of light vehicles in NZ are at least 15 years old
Number of motor vehicles
- The vehicle fleet continues to grow. In 2021, there were 4.5 million vehicles, up from 2.5 million vehicles in 2001.
- The number of light motor vehicles per capita remains very high compared with other countries, at 807.8 vehicles per 1,000 people in 2021.
- Electric vehicles (EVs) represented less than 1.0% of the light vehicle fleet in 2021 (37,000 vehicles), but EV registrations have made up a growing proportion of light vehicle registrations since the introduction of the Clean Car Discount on 1 July 2021.
Average age of motor vehicles
- In 2021, 41.5% of light vehicles were at least 15 years old. This proportion keeps rising as vehicles enter the fleet at older ages and are kept in service for longer.
- The New Zealand vehicle fleet is consistently around 2–4 years older on average than similar countries.
- Trucks and motorcycles are the oldest vehicle types, being 18.0 and 17.9 years old on average.
Read the full factsheets here.